Posted in Travel
| Comments Off on Tips for buying a longboard
A longboard is nothing but a longer version of skateboard. It is basically used for cruising, sliding, downhill racing, and transport. Most boards are 80 to 150 centimetres long (33 to 50 inches). Longboards are available in different shapes like flat nose riders, swallowtails, pintails, drop-through decks and drop decks. Here some properties of the best longboards are described as manufactured by the best longboard brands.
Various types of longboards are available in the market. Each of these longboards has its own pros and cons, some of it are described below.
- Downhill – To use these kinds of longboards you have to control your speed. Using a drop mounted shaped downhill longboard helps you to get better control over speed as it has lower gravity riding down the hill. Braking is easier in these kinds of longboards. You may have to tuck yourself on the longboard while riding against the longboard. Helmet and pad must be worn while riding. Preferably new comers should not use these kinds of longboards.
- Free ride/ Slide – These longboards are symmetrical from front and back. This design helps you to get greater lateral control over the others. These kinds are used while climbing up the hills with high speed and overcoming curbs and slides along the way. It is used mainly by the experts as it requires a lot of tactics.
- Cruise – These are longboards are basically used by beginners. These kinds of longboards are made of flexible boards over soft wheels. These are mainly used while rushing along the slope of the streets.
- Free Style – Free styles longboards are used by all starting from the beginners to the experts of longboard riding. These types of longboards allow you to perform various kinds of styles and tricks. Though you need the skills, expertise and stamina required to perform obviously. Free style longboard allows you to ride the way you want.
Things to look for while buying a longboard
- Wheels – Longboards with larger wheels allow you to ride easily and smoothly. And it also helps you to avoid any uncanny incidents while riding over cracks and debris.
- The deck – Decks are usually made of plywood, nowadays carbon fibres and fibre glasses are also being employed. While the weight of the deck is an important criterion, the thickness of your longboard makes it stronger proportionally increasing its durability.
- Trucks – The wider the truck of your longboards the better stability you get while riding your longboard at higher speeds.
- Bushings – This is a very small yet a very important part of your longboard. These are basically brushes of different shapes which helps you to turn your longboard. This thing also helps you to get a better grip on your longboard.
- Bearings – A suitable and well lubricated bearings give you smoother ride. These things gets rusty easily under humid conditions, but these can be replaced very easily and oiling it periodically gives you a longer bearing life.
Generally, you should choose your longboard according to your requirement. You should always wear helmet, pads and other safety gears. And to maintain your longboard, servicing it periodically is a must.